Squamous Cell Carcinoma Treatment in Seattle, WA
I recently saw Dr Schmidt for 6 month check back for a MOHS procedure on my chin/jaw. His office staff was courteous and I saw the doctor at the appointed time. Dr Schmidt listened to me, examined me, and gave me the information I needed. He made himself open for any future needs. Perfect. – JOHN E. N.
Squamous cell carcinoma is a serious condition that requires serious treatment. At North Sound Dermatology, we offer the newest and most effective methods for treatment. We offer squamous cell carcinoma treatment procedures for patients in Seattle, Everett, and the surrounding areas.
What is Squamous Cell Carcinoma?
Squamous cell carcinoma is found in the upper layer of the epidermis. Squamous cells are often tender to the touch, and can develop anywhere, but are most commonly found on the face and the back of hands. In some cases, it can develop from actinic keratoses, which are considered precancerous.
How is Squamous Cell Carcinoma Treated?
Squamous cell carcinoma treatments vary depending on the location and severity. Some of the options for treatment include:
- Cryosurgery – Some squamous cell carcinomas respond to this method, which involves using liquid nitrogen to freeze off the tumor.
- Curettage and Desiccation – This treatment involves using a small metal tool to scrape out the tumor in combination with the application of an electric current into the tissue to kill any remaining cancerous cells.
- Mohs Micrographic Surgery – This method is ideal for large tumors. It is particularly effective because it removes less non-cancerous skin than other methods, leaving less damage on the body.
- Radiation Therapy – Radiation may be used for tumors that are either difficult to access or persistent.
- Surgical Excision – This involves the surgical removal of the tumor, which is stitched up afterwards.
What is Recovery Like?
Recovery will largely depend on the type of treatment used and the severity of the squamous cell carcinoma. Ask your doctor if you are concerned about the effects of treatment.
Skin cancer can be prevented with good habits and detected early with regular screenings. You should be screened at least once a year to ensure early detection. Contact us today to schedule a consultation or to learn more about your treatment options or insurance information. North Sound Dermatology offers specialized care to patients in Seattle, Everett, and the surrounding areas.