Mohs Micrographic Surgery in Seattle, WA
I recently saw Dr Schmidt for 6 month check back for a MOHS procedure on my chin/jaw. His office staff was courteous and I saw the doctor at the appointed time. Dr Schmidt listened to me, examined me, and gave me the information I needed. He made himself open for any future needs. Perfect. – JOHN E. N.
Named one of the top doctors in Seattle, Dr. Dieter Schmidt of North Sound Dermatology is one of the only fellowship-trained Mohs micrographic surgeons in the area. This makes North Sound Dermatology the leading practice for this kind of procedure, as you can trust our providers and our facility to deliver the best care possible.
What is Mohs Micrographic Surgery?
Mohs micrographic surgery is considered the gold standard treatment of many types of skin cancer. These include basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma.
It has the highest cure rate of any treatment for these types of skin cancer, and because the Mohs technique removes much less non-cancerous skin than traditional surgery does, it allows for a more cosmetically acceptable repair of the surgical defect.
At North Sound Dermatology, Dr. Schmidt is one of the only two fellowship-trained Mohs micrographic surgeons practicing in our county. He is also a Fellow of the American College of Mohs Surgery. He attended one of the most prestigious training programs in the nation, at the University of Colorado. He also has extensive training in facial reconstructive surgery, and has close working relationships with some of the most respected plastic surgeons in the Seattle area.
The American Academy of Dermatology considers Mohs surgery to be a first line of treatment if the cancer is:
- Located in a cosmetically sensitive area, such as the face
- Of a more aggressive pathologic subtype, which is more likely to return than less aggressive subtypes
- In an area where recurrence is common, such as near the eyelids, lips, nose, or ears
- Larger than 1.5 cm on the trunk, arms or legs
- In an area where preserving as much normal skin as possible is a priority, such as the face, hands, feet, genitals and over the shins
- Not completely removed after an excision
- Growing rapidly
The procedure is performed on an outpatient basis under local anesthesia in a safe, sterile, and comfortable environment.
Please click on the button below, The Mohs Surgery Procedure, for more information on how the surgery is performed.
Mohs Micrographic Surgery Basics
Mohs micrographic surgery is heralded as the most effective treatment for the majority of skin cancers. Developed by Dr. Frederick Mohs, the procedure has a remarkable 99 percent cure rate for patients with basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma, the two most common forms of skin cancer.
It has been estimated that more than 3.5 million individuals in the United States were diagnosed with non-melanoma skin cancer last year. Many of those cases involve the face, which can cause even greater trauma for the patient.
Over the years, leading surgeons have refined the Mohs micrographic surgery procedure, making it the most advanced and precise way to remove a tumor without harm to healthy tissue surrounding the tumor.
Dieter Schmidt, MD, FAAD, FACMS, at North Sound Dermatology, serving Edmonds, WA, and neighboring communities with six offices, is a fellowship-trained Mohs micrographic surgeon and is double board-certified in dermatology. As one of just two fellowship-trained Mohs surgeons in the county, Dr. Schmidt has earned several peer-reviewed awards, including ‘Top Doctors’ in Seattle Metropolitan Magazine and ‘Best Doctors in America.’
During Mohs micrographic surgery, Dr. Schmidt precisely removes each layer of skin and microscopically examines it until he reaches clear margins, which are cancer-free, healthy tissues. As a fellowship-trained Mohs surgeon, Dr. Schmidt is trained to interpret skin pathology, as well as perform facial reconstruction after the cancer has been removed.
What are the Advantages of Mohs Micrographic Surgery?
- The highest cure rate for the most common types of skin cancer
- The greatest possible amount of surrounding healthy tissue is saved using this surgical technique, thereby optimizing the cosmetic results of the reconstruction
- Pathologic evaluation of 100 percent of the surgical margin at the time of surgery ensures that Mohs has the highest cure rate of any type of skin cancer treatment
If you have been diagnosed with skin cancer and are considering Mohs micrographic surgery, don’t hesitate to contact us at North Sound Dermatology with any questions, including information about insurance. We welcome patients in the Seattle and Everett areas, as well as surrounding neighborhoods.
- Cost of Mohs Skin Cancer Surgery Everett – Dermatological team in Everett explains Mohs Micrographic Surgery and the cost factors of this skin cancer treatment
- Mohs Surgery For Skin Cancer In Edmonds – Patients in Edmonds ask, “What is Mohs Surgery for skin cancer?”
- Surgery for Skin Cancer Mill Creek – Options for skin cancer surgery in Mill Creek
- Mohs surgery Mill Creek – Why am I facing Mohs Micrographic Surgery in Mill Creek?