Acne Treatment in Seattle, WA
I was very pleased to have their office accommodate me since I was a new patient and got to see the doctor that week once I had my referral. Staff is awesome. Dr. Wu gave me the correct cream to heal my eczema and within two days my skin was back to normal. I would recommend this office to anyone who has skin issues. – JULIE B. M.
As one of the most commonly experienced skin conditions, acne can cause a range of physical and emotional trouble to those it affects. At North Sound Dermatology, we understand this and offer a range of effective treatments to rid patients of acne. Our experienced dermatologists offer acne treatment for patients in Seattle, Everett, and the surrounding areas.
What is Acne?
Acne is the most common skin condition experienced by the majority of adolescents and adults. Acne is most commonly known for the appearance of red pimples on the face and other areas of the body. It is not a serious health condition, but the symptoms can be troublesome and, if left untreated, can lead to scarring.
What Causes Acne?
The leading cause of acne is excessive sebum production. Sebum is an oily substance secreted by the skin to prevent it from over-drying. When going through puberty, sebum production tends to increase substantially. This is why acne is so common among teenagers in comparison to other demographics. In addition, dead skin cells or bacterial growth can also cause acne.
How is Acne Treated?
Before acne can be treated, the specific cause must be identified. Depending on the cause and the severity of your acne, different methods may be used. Some common acne treatments are:
- Benzoyl Peroxide – This ingredient is found in most over-the-counter acne medicine. It works to limit the bacteria that cause acne.
- Antibiotics – Topical or oral antibiotics can be used to treat acne, but have the risk of losing effectiveness as the body builds up immunity.
- Salicylic Acid – Another common ingredient in over-the-counter solutions, this compound works by penetrating the skin and clearing it of dead cells and other acne-causing debris.
- Retinoids – Retinoids can be used to clear pores and prevent new blemishes. A frequently used retinoid, called isotretinoin (commonly referred to as Accutane), is prescribed to treat severe acne cases. This is typically used when other treatment methods fail.
- Prescription Compounds – Based on your specific skin and acne type, customized compounds can be prescribed that are designed to treat your skin specifically.
What Can I Expect from Acne Treatment?
When starting a new treatment, it’s important to remember that you may not see results for weeks or months. In fact, it’s not uncommon for acne to worsen during the beginning of treatment. Consistently using your treatment as prescribed will give you the best results, and it’s essential to continue using them as your skin clears up.
If you’ve been struggling with acne, it’s time to take control. We provide specialized acne treatment to patients in Seattle, Everett, and the surrounding areas. Contact us today to schedule your consultation and read more about our insurance information.